Thursday 7 May 2009

BBC writer's script session

I went along to the BBC writer’s room session held at DMU. The guy who was giving the seminar broke the script writing process down to the same formula as writing a novel. Of course, he didn’t put it like that but that was my understanding of it. He explained the importance of strengthening character roles through dialogue and action. A script is different to a novel in terms of the lack of physical description of people and places in the story. A script tells the plot but you leave the actual role of characters for actors to play out. A big pet hate for producers is when writers dictate camera angle shots in a script.
I was relieved to know my film treatment is on the right track. Hopefully, I will show it to producer soon. The film project is a new world to me. I enjoy writing and I’m always looking for the next challenge. I was annoyed the BBC people
didn’t accept my film treatment, but, when I looked up their website, I knew it was part of their terms and conditions. It hasn’t put me off and I’ll see what the next few weeks will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment