Monday 13 June 2016

I'm back! Awards and working with charitable organisations.

Yes, it has been a while since I have last written my blog but I have been busy with family commitments, teaching and other creative projects. I do apologise for my long absence but if you don’t hear from me for some time then you know I am working on something! Lol!
So much has happened over the last few months that I would like to share it with everyone. Remember Brightside’? My short documentary? Well? it has won a number of awards from film festivals around the world!
Just to mention a few, The Impact Documentary Award based in San Diego, California, awarded Brightside the short documentary award a few months ago. Apart from that the International Film Festival for Women, Social Issues and Zero Discrimination based in Indonesia also awarded ‘Brightside’ with International Short Documentary award for 2016. Yippee! The Indonesian film festival was a huge success for us with more than two hundred media articles, Radio interviews and TV News covering the event. The festival was also attended by two women government ministers who presented awards during the ceremony. It was a proud moment for both me, my co-producer Clair Haynes and my film crew. Yes, without my film crew ‘Brightside’ could not have been possible.
As a result of winning these film awards a number of TV shows have shown interest in airing ‘Brightside’ on their channels. I’ll keep you posted as and when that happens ):
Phew! If that was not enough I have been busy with teaching. I am proud to say my refugee class has been increasing over the year. It has been really rewarding  teaching these students. Sigh! What many people fail to understand is how many of these people are suffering and at the mercy of charities to help them out. Unlike the media coverage of refugees, very few of these people are receiving benefits or handouts. Working with a charitable organisation, I have seen first- hand the difficulties they are facing in just trying to help the most vulnerable and needy. Most of them are not just working with refugees but they are also helping out with the homeless and most helpless in the UK. I cannot tell you how in awe I am of these organisations who help the less fortunate.
I am actually embarrassed to say this but last month I was awarded Star Volunteer Tutor by Leicester City Council. It was a pleasant surprise for me but this is nothing compared to my students who attend my lessons. They are the real stars behind my teaching.
Before I go it is our fasting month. This is month of tolerance, patience, forgiveness and mercy. Any Muslim who fasts will try to strive to meet these qualities This is a month when Muslims are trying to get closer to God which means praying and carrying out good deeds. For anyone to carry out horrific acts in the name of Allah is wasting their time and effort. I hope and pray people can look past the isolated terrorist attacks that sometimes occurs in the name of Islam and see the peaceful loving religion for what it is, and its 1.6 billion followers who are striving to be better people.

Belated Ramadan Mubarak and & Eid Mubarak everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment