Thursday 13 August 2009

Tate Britain

I spent a week visiting parents and family in London. It didn’t take my kids long to get bored and pester me to venture out to central London. Both of my daughters, Eemaan, and Ruqayyah are into art. It was the most natural choice to visit an art gallery, so, we headed for Tate Britain situated in Pimlico. The good thing about London is there are so many free places to visit. Do your homework right and you’d be surprised how much fun you can have.

I’m a writer not an arty person, so, I did find some of the art on display quite bizarre! Especially, some of the modern stuff and I’m convinced my daughters stand a good chance in making it into art world! LOL!

Before you think me arrogant let me explain what was on view for the public. Bicycles with a bit of concrete slabs were displayed in the first few room of the modern section??? Exactly! Is that art? I don’t know. Another strange example was a cabinet display of medicines. No joke! It looked like we were about to be served in ‘Boots!’ Am I bad? No offensive to the art world but it was hilarious.

The part I enjoyed was doing creative art in room 17. Forget kids, parents were just as enthusiastic and competitive to show off their artistic streak. I don’t think my son, Ahmad, thought much of my attempt to make him a boat. Yes! I have to admit it was lame! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment