Thursday 5 August 2010

The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Lyric Lounge and Mellow Baku.

August starts off with a bang for me! It has been a literature week all round! While my kids are away at their grandparents, I attended DR Jane Mackay Literature at lunchtime hour. She discussed Robert Louis Stevenson’s book ‘The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I am astounded by her in depth knowledge of the writer, she lectures for a solid hour using no notes or papers. It’s just amazing to watch her reel so many names and dates with no much as a hesitation. Did you know Robert Louis Stevenson wrote Dr Jekyll and My Hyde after he had a bad dream? He wrote 30,000 words (the whole book) in three days and rewrote the book again in another three days. So, in all he spent six days writing 60,000 words. Sheer genius! To top it all he was in chronic bad health!
After attending Dr Mackay’s lecture, I was in the mood for words and poetry. I attended Lyric Lounge held at the New Walk Museum. There were some brilliant performers, Jean Binta Breeze, word with Mark Gwyne Jones and my all-time favourite Mellow Baku. She has an amazing voice and a very talented woman. I t was breath taking to hear her sing and create a song in her workshop. Top class act!

No comments:

Post a Comment